Back to Heritage Index
Our Christian Heritage
Does A Nation Answer to God?
This was a question the American Founders dealt with on the floor of the Constitutional Convention. They concluded that a nation doesn't have a spirit or a soul. Therefore when a nation dies, it is dead and won't be resurrected later to answer for it's failures, as a person will be who does have a spirit and soul. George Mason said: "As nations cannot be punished or rewarded in the next world, they must be in this. By an inevitable chain of causes and effects Providence punished National sins by National calamities." Providence was commonly used by the Founders to refer to God.
God's judgement on a Nation because of it's corrupt leaders is evidenced many places in the Bible. A couple of them are:
1. Because of the corruption of King Ahab an
2. King David was normally a good King, but because of his disobedience to God when he numbered his army, a plague came upon the nation and wiped out 70,000 people. The Nation suffered because of the leader.
Benjamin Franklin – June 17, 1787
"We need God as our friend not our enemy. We need him to be our ally not our adversary. We need to make sure that we keep God's concurring aid." He called for regular daily prayer to be sure we kept God alongside what we were doing in the Nation. If this was needed by our leaders, why would it not be good for children to be able to pray in school and learn & prepare for this important facet of life?
Thomas Jefferson Memorial
Part of the inscription on Jefferson's Memorial: "Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice can't sleep forever."
When Lincoln was asked if God was on his side in the Civil War, he replied: "Sir, my concern is not whether God is on my side. My great concern is to be on God's side."
Benjamin Franklin – As Ambassador to France
"Whoever will introduce into public affairs the principles of Christianity will change the face of the world."
The Men Most Quoted by the Founding Fathers of the U.S.
Political Science professors at the University of Houston wondered if there was something unique about the government of the U.S. They gathered 15,000 quotes from the Founders and located where all of them came from. They then boiled that down to 3,154 quotes that had significant impact on the founding of America.
It took them 10 years to finish the project, but they found that the three men most quoted by the Founding fathers were Blackstone, Montesquieu, and John Locke. They also found that the Bible was quoted: 4 times more often than Montesquieu, 12 times more often than Blackstone, and 16 times more often than Locke.
Additionally, 34% of all quotes were from the Bible, and another 60% of the quotes were from men who were using the Bible to arrive at their conclusions. Added together, 94% of all the quotes of the Founders had their origin in the Bible, which shows the importance of God's word in their lives and of this Nation's founding.
Our Christian Heritage
The Godly Heritage of America
"The last three generations of Americans simply have not been told the truth about American history. Active humanists and the liberal media have for years undertaken a concentrated effort to misinform the American public by attacking the "Religious Right" and rewriting America's Judeo-Christian history in a humanistic tone."
The United States of America
"Did you know! There in the Chamber of the United States Supreme Court , above the Justices' bench and the head of the Chief Justice, is a sculpture made of white marble depicting The Ten Commandments. Each session of the court closes with the words,‘God save the United States and the Honorable Court.’"
America's Godly Heritage
"Of all the habits and dispositions which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars." George Washington
More Christian Heritage